Friday, May 11, 2007

Learning about your own family on Wikipedia


A. Edison Stairs (far right)

It's an odd feeling, to say the least. I just happened to come across an article about my paternal grandfather while browsing around on Wikipedia (something I do quite often).

I actually learned some things from this write-up that I hadn't known before. Admitting that actually seems a bit shameful to me. I should know much more about my family than I do. I should have picked the brains of all my elders and hung onto every detail and scrap of wisdom. My grandfather is 83 years old now and has Alzheimer's. Whatever chance I had to get to know him better is gone now. The regret hasn't fully sunk in yet, but it will. Whenever I meet an older person I can usually count on them knowing who Edison is. He is a good man with a strong legacy, and though I was barely into my teens when his health started deteriorating I know that many of my strong personality traits come from him, not the least of which is my attraction to politics.

I'm not sure who wrote this article, but thank you. It is a reminder that I come from a strong background, and an incentive to keep a proud family history alive.

No comments: